Finding the right type of autism treatment for children with autism is critical to enabling their best outcomes. Yet, there isn’t a simple course of action to take. Most children with autism need a combination of therapies. For some children, autism medication may be a component of a treatment plan. Our team at Discover Camp Worth in Fort Worth, Texas, offers a range of therapies that may help, and we provide parents the range of support they need to know what type of care is best.
Autism Medications May Help Your Child
No autism medication can cure autism, nor the most common symptoms children with autism have. Some medications can help a child function at a higher level and get more out of life. Some medications may be helpful at:
- Reducing the risk of self-injury
- Providing improved focus
- Managing high energy levels more effectively
- Managing depression and anxiety
- Minimize the risk of seizures
- Provide better behavior control
It may be possible to provide a child with improved tools and strategies for managing day-to-day life by improving these symptoms.
Commonly Used Autism Medications
A physician always manages medications. Finding the right combination of medications is critical to ensuring the best long-term outcome and balance for children with autism. Many medications do have side effects that also need to be monitored and minimized. Some of the most common medications given for autism treatment include:
- Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors – This type of treatment can help with representative behaviors, anxiety, tantrums, aggressive behaviors, and irritability. These behaviors often stem from chemical system imbalances.
- Tricyclics – Tricyclics are a type of medication is an antidepressant to help with obsessive-compulsive disorder and depression.
- Psychoactive or anti-psychotic medications – These medications help to improve irritability. They may also reduce hyperactivity and manage aggressive behaviors.
- Stimulants – For those children with autism who have mild symptoms, stimulants may help reduce hyperactivity and improve focus.
- Anti-anxiety medications – Many children with autism benefit from anti-anxiety medications to help control panic disorders, reduce anxiety, and improve overall mental clarity.
- Anticonvulsants – Children with seizures are typically given these medications to reduce the onset of such events.
Doctors closely monitor children with autism to ensure they have access to the right combination of medications. A medication plan is used to test various types of drugs to create the best results based on the symptoms a person has. It can take time for medications to work to create noticeable results.
Autism Treatment Goes Beyond Medication
Autism medication is never the first step, nor is it the only component of care. More commonly, autism therapy programs center around providing children with learning experiences and the development of skills. This is done through therapy. Each therapy program is different but often includes behavioral therapy, social skill development, and life skills.
Our team at Discover Camp Worth utilizes a range of services to help children with autism. That includes providing strategies for families who want and need to learn how to make sure their family’s needs can be met.
Occupational therapy, social skills training, and speech therapy may be used alongside medications to create the best possible improvements for children. It’s important to look at autism treatment for what it is – a way to improve relationships, communications, safety, and the whole family’s needs. Medications do play a big role in that process for some children, along with autism therapy programs.
Invest in Treatment for Your Child at Discover Camp Worth
Autism medication may be the right option for some children. Our goal at Discover Camp Worth is to provide a range of treatment options that may offer your child the best possible outcome. To learn more about autism treatment in Fort Worth, Texas, contact our team online or call 855.915.2545 now.