According to the Center for Disease Control, about one in every 59 children is on the autism spectrum. Though there are no medications to “cure” autism spectrum disorder, some medications can treat its symptoms. Some programs use medication to treat behaviors like self-injury or aggression. Occasionally, children with autism are also diagnosed with ADHD. When these symptoms are minimized, individuals on the autism spectrum can focus on learning other skills. While at Camp Worth’s residential treatment program in Fort Worth, Texas, your child can be part of our medication management program while learning social skills and improving their behavior.
Medication Management for Autism Spectrum Disorder
According to the National Institute of Health, the following medications could be used to improve symptoms of autism:
- Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) – These treat depression and other problems related to chemical imbalances. SSRIs might also reduce repetitive behaviors and decrease anxiety, irritability, tantrums, and aggressive behavior
- Tricyclics – Another type of antidepressant also used to treat obsessive-compulsive behaviors. These can be more effective than SSRIs for some people
- Psychoactive or anti-psychotic medications – These can reduce irritability in young people with autism while decreasing hyperactivity and reducing stereotyped behaviors
- Stimulants – These increase focus and decrease hyperactivity in people with autism. They are particularly helpful for those with mild autism spectrum disorder symptoms
- Anti-anxiety medications -This group of medications can help relieve the anxiety and panic disorders often associated with autism
- Anticonvulsants – Nearly one-third of people with autism have seizures. These medications treat seizures and seizure disorders, such as epilepsy
When used in a medication management program, these medications can help your child overcome challenges.
Our Medication Management Program in Fort Worth, Texas
The most effective autism treatment programs use a variety of approaches and programs to help your child. At Camp Worth, our medical staff and behavioral therapists work together. They can discuss and collaborate to find the right medication and treatment plan for your child.
Medical professionals might prescribe medication to treat symptoms associated with autism spectrum disorders. They will typically also use behavior management therapies and counseling. Doctors might use a system called Medication Therapy Management, or MTM. The purpose of MTM is to make sure that any prescribed medications are working as effectively as possible. Your child’s team of professionals gathers data that they can then use to assess how well the medication is working.
One type of data we use is from pharmacogenomics testing. Put simply, this is the study of genetic variations that influence how a person responds to drugs. This procedure involves a simple mouth swab. Once we know how your child responds to different medications, we can prescribe the most effective ones. This way, we do not need to try out different medications to find out what works best. Instead, we can prescribe the right one the first time. This is an important part of what makes our medication management program in Fort Worth, Texas, stand out.
After prescribing medication, we carefully monitor your child’s response. Because our team is all on-site at our facility in Fort Worth, we work together to ensure your child’s well-being. Our staff regularly communicates and works together to help your child succeed.
Contact Camp Worth Today
In addition to medication management, we offer the following treatment programs at Camp Worth:
- Applied behavior analysis program
- Education program
- Autism parent training program
- Food and nutrition program
We are also proud to offer a wide range of therapeutic approaches, including:
- Occupational therapy
- Recreational therapy
- Medication management
- Individual therapy
- Family counseling
- Social skills groups
- Functional skills training
- Functional communication training
Our residential program for teens in Fort Worth, Texas, provides complete care. Our goal is to improve your child’s quality of life. Learn more today by calling Camp Worth at 855.915.2545 or reaching out to us here.