Autism is a neurodevelopment disorder, meaning it involves the way the brain processes information. Individuals with autism are often on a spectrum, with some having only a few traits, such as difficulty with socializing or reading emotions, and others being on the lower-functioning end and being completely non-verbal or aware of what is happening around them. Those individuals on the high-functioning end often find their way to us.
Working with a child with autism can be challenging, even when they are very high-functioning. As a parent or caregiver, it can also be illuminating to work with professionals like the ones at Camp Worth, who have years of experience handling autism spectrum disorder. To learn more about the signs of high functioning autism or our autism treatment programs in Fort Worth, contact us today at 855.915.2545.
Signs of High Functioning Autism
Autism is a disorder that often appears different from one individual to the next. That is because not every person with autism has every trait. In addition, the traits may vary over time, changing as your child grows and learns. Most children on the spectrum have some combination of basic traits, however. The most common signs of high functioning autism include:
- Linguistic oddities such as interrupting or not focusing on a conversation they find boring
- Emotional overload frequently occurs, especially when feelings such as anger or pain are involved
- Inability to keep calm if a routine is changed suddenly
- Fixation on one or two subjects, with the exclusion of all others
- Difficulty with social interactions because of an inability to read non-verbal communication cues like facial expressions
- Unusual movements that are often repetitive. These become more pronounced as the person becomes overwhelmed
- Easily overwhelmed by sensations such as noise, bright lights, or many people
How We Can Help
Our programs are designed to help autistic children and teens ages 11-17 develop life skills, minimize negative behaviors, and gain confidence in themselves. We provide a critical resource in Fort Worth, Texas for autistic children and their parents, and our professional, caring staff is dedicated to your success. Camp Worth provides the following ASD treatment programs:
- Residential teen boys’ autism treatment center
- Residential teen girls’ autism treatment center
- Education program
- Targeted behavioral intervention
- Food and nutrition program
- Autism parent support program
Our counseling and behavior analysis programs help your adolescent learn to identify emotions and then teach them how to deal with them. Many individuals come to us because their frustration has turned to anger and possibly violence. We teach alternative ways to deal with this. We also help teach proper socializing and allow for practice, as well as how to take what is learned and apply it to situations outside the residential program. This therapy combines occupational therapy, nutritional education, and parent education. The program is designed around the individual’s needs based on their signs of high functioning autism, so each may appear slightly different even though the major components are all in place. Finally, residents are given the chance to learn things like organizational skills and time management to help them learn how to learn in our educational program.
Individual treatment programs may also include the following:
- Daily physical exercise and activity
- Recreational therapy
- Individual therapy or counseling
- Social skills groups
- Functional communication training
- Medication management
- Family counseling and support
- Functional skills training
Do not hesitate to reach out to us if you think your teen could benefit from our residential autism treatment programs.
Discover Camp Worth
At Camp Worth, your adolescent will have a complete team of specialists who have been trained to deal with the things most important to those with signs of high functioning autism. A combination of behavioral therapy, education, parenting classes, and nutritional education all come together to help your adolescent grow through discovery. With the help of our treatment staff, your child or teen can thrive despite their autism symptoms.
If you are feeling lost in regards to how to best help your child, contact us at 855.915.2545 and see if we can offer you the support you need. Your child can benefit greatly from being in an understanding, specialized environment. Our fully-trained staff members truly understand what your child needs. Contact Camp Worth today to learn more about how Camp Worth can help your teen or child.