Autism spectrum disorder (ASD) is a developmental disease that affects children differently. While there is no cure for autism, children can participate in one-on-one therapy to learn new skills to be more productive and independent. Therapists use this time to understand your child’s needs better and healthily process their thoughts and emotions. An individual therapy program can be very beneficial for children with autism and their families.
At Camp Worth, we support teen boys and girls aged 11-17 whose autism symptoms interfere with their development and education. We take the time to get to know your teen’s needs to develop a treatment plan that includes one-on-one and group therapy and other beneficial programs and services. Continue reading to learn more about one-on-one therapy, then call 855.915.2545 for more information about how we can benefit your teen’s health and wellbeing.
What Is One on One Therapy Called?
One-on-one therapy is a form of therapy that involves a therapist and patient talking in a private setting. It is also known as talk therapy, psychotherapy, or individual therapy and is very beneficial in helping patients struggling with several mental health issues. Applied behavior analysis (ABA) is one form of one-on-one therapy that is very beneficial for teens living with autism. It uses positive reinforcement techniques and meaningful rewards and consequences to instill good habits and healthy skills.
For teens living with autism, therapists use applied behavior analysis therapy to help develop the social, communication, and life skills they are lacking. ABA is the preferred method for treating teens with autism and can help them with their education and become more independent.
At Camp Worth, our certified behavioral therapists will work with your child’s specific needs during one-on-one therapy to develop new skills and improve existing ones. During group therapy, your teen will have a chance to practice their skills with their peers under direct supervision.
The Benefits of One on One Therapy
There are many benefits of one-on-one therapy for teens living with autism. It can help them in many aspects of their life, including personal care, forming healthy relationships, and taking on more responsibilities. Here are just some of the benefits of one on one therapy that your teen will experience:
- Increased social skills – Teens will learn new social skills to reduce inappropriate behavior and social anxiety. They will learn appropriate behavior for different social settings, like birthday parties, family functions, and dating.
- Improves communication skills – Therapists will work with your child’s communication skills to develop verbal or non-verbal skills depending on their abilities.
- Promotes self-care and personal hygiene – Teens will develop new skills and routines for getting ready for school, preparing for mealtimes, and taking care of themselves. These skills can go a long way toward helping your teen become more independent.
- Improves playtime with peers – One-on-one therapy improves playtime activities by teaching skills such as sharing toys, taking turns, and playing team sports.
- Reduces inappropriate behavior – As teens develop new skills, they will have an easier time communicating and interacting with others, which will reduce any bad behaviors, temper tantrums, and meltdowns.
Camp Worth: Your Best Resource for One-on-One Therapy for Your Teen Living with Autism
At Camp Worth, we support teen boys and girls frustrated by their autism symptoms. We use ABA and other behavioral therapies in one-on-one and group settings to develop important life skills to lead healthier and more productive lives. Our autism treatment facility offers a wide range of therapies and programs, such as:
- Applied behavior analysis
- Occupational therapies
- Social skills groups
- Functional skills training
- Medication management
Call 855.915.2545 today or fill out our online form to speak with our friendly staff about helping your teen develop the skills they need to lead a happy and productive life.