Seeing your child with autism succeed in their development is the goal of every parent. One of the key symptoms of ASD is a lack of social skills, as many children with autism struggle to understand the subtle nuances of verbal and non-verbal communication. A social skills group for autism will give your teen the social skills they need to function at home and around their friends.
At Camp Worth, our social skills groups can help your teen ages 11-17 to learn important social skills in a safe and encouraging environment. We help your child develop the skills they need to lead a more independent life. If you would like to learn more about our social skills group for autism, please call 855.915.2545 today to speak with one of our caring support staff.
The Importance of Social Skills Groups for Children with Autism
Symptoms of ASD are difficult to diagnose before the age of 2 years old. By this time, they have already missed out on crucial communication development that we naturally pick up when we are toddlers. That is why getting an ASD diagnosis as early as possible is essential for developing your child’s social skills.
By enrolling your child in an autism therapy program, you are giving them the greatest chance at learning the skills they need to live a happy and independent life.
In a social skills group, your child will learn:
- How and when to communicate properly in group settings
- Learn different communication methods like non-verbal communication
- Improve their natural language skills
- Learn how to navigate complex social settings
- Communicate with less frustration and negative behavior
At Camp Worth, we will provide your teen with our social skills group for autism, where they will interact with others in life-like situations, allowing them to better communicate with their peers and family.
Benefits of Social Development in Autism Therapy
There are many benefits to enrolling your child in an autism therapy program. Through individual and group therapy, they will learn vital life skills like personal hygiene habits and possibly holding down a job and an apartment.
Some of the benefits your child will see in a social skills group include:
- Structure and predictability – Learning how to cope with different situations is vital for avoiding disruptive behavior.
- Self-awareness – Your child can begin to understand more about themselves mentally and physically.
- Self-esteem – Having the skills to cope with changing situations and disruptions to their routine will reduce the number of outbursts, leading to more confidence in themselves.
- Family interaction – Family life can improve as your child develops the proper communication techniques to communicate their needs and interact with others.
- Work skills – Having a job is a big sign of independence, and this is possible for most teens with autism with the proper social and functional skills training.
Social development is crucial for the happiness and wellbeing of your child with autism. Giving them the social skills they need to interact with others will make them feel better about themselves and improve the quality of life for you and your family.
Autism Therapy Programs at Camp Worth Can Help Your Teen Succeed
Our social skills group is just one aspect of our autism therapy programs that can give your teen the skills and education they need to reach their next best level. When you first come into our treatment center, a therapist will evaluate your teen and determine the level of care necessary for their level of symptoms and current communication skills.
At Camp Worth, we help teens age 11-17 to reduce their frustrations through our social skills group and other programs. If your teen struggles with social skills, call 855.915.2545 or complete our online form to learn how Camp Worth can help your child.