Families who have children diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder, or ASD, can experience hardships when dealing with the sometimes erratic and negative behavior of their child or sibling living with autism. Family counseling can help give parents the tools necessary to create a safe and supportive home environment and build a stronger family bond. There is no greater joy than seeing a family love and support their child or sibling with autism, and a family counseling program is instrumental in making that happen.
At Camp Worth, we support teens aged eleven to seventeen and their families with family counseling. We take the time to get to know your teen son or daughter’s severity of symptoms and what developmental skills they are lacking. Then we tailor an autism treatment plan around their needs and goals. Reach out to our compassionate staff today online or at 855.915.2545 to see what our family counseling programs can do for your family.
What Is Family Counseling?
Family counseling can help the entire family lead a healthy and happy life. It is not simply for your teen son or daughter, but parents and siblings as well. Each will get one-on-one time with therapists to talk freely in a safe and judgment-free zone, as well as develop tools for helping your teen’s development. These skills can give your teen the help they need to lead a more independent life.
Some of the skills learned in family counseling include:
- Create an environment that promotes healthy communication for everyone
- Learn to handle times of conflict that include violent or inappropriate behavior
- Decrease the risk of self-harm and meltdowns
- Develop a supportive home environment that adjusts as they grow
- Manage transitions to different schools, caregivers, and moving into an apartment
Our family counseling program at Camp Worth helps build family bonds and a healthier home environment. We work with your child’s specific needs to develop a custom treatment plan instead of a one-size-fits-all treatment. This will give your teen the skills to reach their full potential and reduce negative or harmful behavior.
Family Counseling Tools to Benefit Families
When working with your teen living with autism, you need to be flexible and patient in finding what teaching and mitigation tools work best for them. Every child is different, and it requires an understanding of the severity of their symptoms and learning capabilities to learn what works best for them. Family counseling at Camp Worth will give you these tools based on your child’s unique needs.
Family counseling tools you will need include:
- Communication tools–Parents focus on verbal and non-verbal communication skills to help their child express themselves and their needs in a healthy and positive way.
- Socializing tools–Parents learn to watch for social situations that may trigger unwanted behavior and learn to prepare their child for different situations, such as birthday parties, school functions, and family or playtime.
- Mitigation tools–When unwanted behavior does happen, parents will learn the skills they need to minimize their actions and calmly work with them until they are calm and can talk and understand what led to the outburst.
- Adjusting to their growing needs–Parents will learn new tools as their teen ages and begins experiencing new social activities and responsibilities.
Learn More About Camp Worth’s Family Counseling Programs
At Camp Worth, we support teens and their families with holistic therapies and family counseling. Our programs give them the tools necessary to build a supportive home environment while increasing their self-esteem and confidence in leading an independent life.
Our autism therapy programs include:
- Individual therapy program
- Medication management
- Social skills groups
- Functional skills training program
For more information about our family counseling programs, reach out to our friendly Camp Worth team online or call us at 855.915.2545.