According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, autism spectrum disorder, or ASD, affects 1 in 44 children in the U.S. today. It is a developmental illness that affects the brain and causes learning and social disabilities with symptoms that range from mild to severe. Functional skills are important for teens with autism who want to lead a more independent life. A functional skills training program is imperative for your teen’s growth if symptoms interfere with their development.
At Camp Worth, we work with frustrated teen boys and girls aged 11-17 living with autism to develop the life skills they are lacking. We take the time to get to know your child’s unique symptoms to create a tailored treatment plan that addresses their mental, physical, and educational needs. To give your teen son or daughter the skills they need to lead an independent life, call 855.915.2545 today for more information about our functional skills training program.
What Are Functional Skills?
Functional skills are a group of skills imperative for teens with autism to learn to be more independent. These are daily living activities and tasks that people perform, such as self-care, taking care of possessions, and getting ready for different events or social activities. Without these skills, your child may need to rely on you or other caregivers for their basic needs.
Some functional skills examples include:
- Eating healthy meals at regular times
- Getting dressed
- Showering and bathing
- Going to bed on time
- Going grocery shopping
- Cleaning up after themselves
We want to see your teen happy and reach their full potential at Camp Worth. We work closely with you and your teen to develop their skills to create a supportive home environment and minimize unruly behavior.
5 Benefits of a Functional Skills Training Program
There are many benefits to functional skills training for teens living with autism. It can improve their confidence in interacting with others while reducing negative outbursts and temper tantrums. Here are five benefits of functional skills training that will benefit your teen’s development:
- Develop new daily living skills – Therapists will work directly with your teen to build on their current skill set and learn new skills and routines for getting ready in the morning, preparing for mealtimes, and other important life skills.
- Improved communication skills – Teens will develop their verbal or non-verbal communication skills depending on their abilities. Therapists will also work with parents so they can better communicate with their children with autism.
- Increased confidence and self-esteem – As your teen develops and practices their new skills, they will build confidence and self-esteem. Functional skills will improve all aspects of their lives and reduce frustrations due to not feeling included or understood.
- Improved family relationships – The whole family will benefit from your teen’s development as it makes home life easier. You will spend less time correcting bad behaviors and more time interacting with your child with activities that promote their development.
- Able to lead a more independent life – As their functional skills increase, the more independent they can become. Functional skills training can teach teens about money management, holding a job, and taking public transportation.
Camp Worth Provides Functional Skills for Teens Living with Autism
What are functional skills? At Camp Worth, we work with teen boys and girls to develop the skills they need, such as dressing, bathing, and other important daily living skills to lead an independent life. These functional skills examples are just some of the skills your teen can learn at our autism treatment facility. Other beneficial programs and therapies we offer include:
- Applied behavior analysis
- Group and individual therapy
- Food and nutrition program
- Family counseling program
- Autism parent training program
Call 855.915.2545 or fill out our online form today to give your teen the greatest chance at leading a happy and independent life.